Copper has been used as a roofing material for centuries — and for good reason. Its unbelievable durability and longevity, along with its aesthetic appeal, make it a favorite among those looking for a roof that will stand the tests of time.
Copper Panels for Roofing
Copper is an amazing choice for roofing. It forms a really tough oxide-sulfate patina that will protect the underlying copper surfaces and resist all types of corrosion. Copper is also extremely malleable, making it one of the quietest types of metal roofing. Its malleability also makes installation a bit more tricky. Therefore, it’s important to find a contractor or installer that’s worked with this material before. If you’re considering installing a copper roof, you should also keep in mind the environment you live in. Different environments and climate conditions affect copper’s patina times.
Benefits of Copper Roofs
- Low Maintenance — Since copper panels will never rust or corrode, there’s virtually no maintenance required. A simple annual inspection is usually all it takes to ensure your roof is intact.
- Longevity — There are copper roofs still around from a hundred years ago. After you install your roof, you’ll likely never have to worry about replacing it in your lifetime. It is by far one of the longest lasting materials on the market.
- Sustainability — Copper is the perfect option for those looking for an eco-friendly, sustainable roofing material. Copper panels have antimicrobial properties, which don’t allow microorganisms to survive on their surfaces — perfect for those looking to harvest rainwater. It’s also 100% recyclable, and loses absolutely no quality after being recycled.
- Aesthetics — Copper is easily one of the most gorgeous roofing materials. Since copper is a natural metal, it will patina over time. The panels will start as a shiny, burnt-orange color and eventually turn to rich browns and blacks. In some humid or coastal climates, the patina will be a blue/green finish (think Statue of Liberty). In arid climates, a full patina takes between 10-15 years, where in coastal climates, a full patina takes between 5-7 years.
- Durability — From extreme temperatures to extreme weather conditions, copper panels are high-performing and unbelievably durable. Their strong qualities make them a favorite for those that live in environments where factors like temperature or weather pose a threat.
True Copper roofing panels
True Copper Panels
Bridger Steel has copper roofing currently available in our 16, 20, and 24 ounce gauge (or thickness). We have copper roofing panels available in various profiles including:
- 7/8" Corrugated
- 1/2" Corrugated
- 1/4" Corrugated
- 1" Mechanical Lock
- 1" Tru Snap
- 1" Nail Strip
- Flush Wall
- Flush Soffit
- V Wall
- V Soffit
- All Trim Profiles Available
If you’re aiming for a more traditional look, we recommend running copper in our Corrugated or Batten panels. For a more modern look, any of our Standing Seam panels will work. We also offer custom fabrications of Flat Wall panels, and additional variations are available. Talk to a Product Specialist about any custom needs.
While true copper panels are stunning, they are considerably more expensive than other metal materials. That’s why Bridger Steel has created alternative paint systems to act as copper alternatives. This allows you to get the look of a copper roof without the higher price point and difficult installation.
Weathered Copper Metal Roof finish on Standing Seam Metal Roof
Our Weathered Copper finish is one of the best choices for those looking for a copper roofing alternative. It mimics a full patina in dry, arid environments. We also have a Copper Penny finish for those looking to mimic copper’s warm, initial look that will remain the burnt-orange color rather than begin to patina. Finally, we have an Aged Copper finish designed to mimic copper’s pre-patina shade, just in a darker finish than Copper Penny.
Copper Penny finish on metal roofing panels
If you’re interested in installing a copper roof or copper roofing alternative, get in touch with one of our Product Specialists today. Our team will help you find the perfect panel, gauge, and color or finish you need to create your dream roof.