Solar panels and solar energy systems seem to be popping up more and more around the country, and for good reason! Homeowners, commercial building owners and architects are all finding themselves wanting to make the move to solar energy. Solar panels are an eco-friendly, economical and increase any building’s efficiency.
Can You Put Solar Panels on a Metal Roof?
Yes! Solar panels can be installed on almost every type of roofing system, including metal roofs. Metal roofs are a top choice among builders and installers because they can easily support the heavy weight of the solar panel system.
Metal roofing is also a top choice because of its expected lifetime. Metal roofs, on average, last between 40 and 70 years, with some materials like copper lasting for 100+ years. With this longevity, the strength of metal and durability of the panels, installing a solar panel system on a metal roof is a smart choice. Shingles and other roofing materials can be expected to last between 12 to 20 years (less than half the life expectancy of metal). Due to solar panel’s weight and sometimes difficult installation, metal roofs and solar panels make the perfect pair.
What Kind of Roof is Best For Solar Panels?
With the many benefits of metal roofs, it may be easy to decide metal is the material you want to go with when choosing to install solar panels for your home. But is there a specific metal panel or certain profile best suited for solar panel systems?
Bridger Steel’s Standing Seam metal panel collection is highly recommended for solar panel installation. Since standing seam panels use clamps and clips that fasten directly to the ribs, mounting and installing a solar system is much easier to do compared to installing on exposed fastener systems. Mechanical Lock, Tru Snap, and Nail Strip metal panels are just some of the many highly-recommended panels that are suitable for solar panel mounting.
Ultimately, you want to ensure that your solar panel’s weight can be handled, and almost any of Bridger Steel’s time-tested metal panels are up for the job. Metal is one of the strongest, sturdiest materials on the market, making it an excellent choice to support the weight of solar panels and mounts.
Can Solar Panels Be Used as a Roof?
Solar panels can in fact be used as the main roofing material, but this method of solar energy can be very costly. Covering an entire home with solar panels can be expensive, and factoring in installation costs increases the price even further. If you choose to use solar panels as your roof, you also must ensure they’re arranged in a way that prevents leaks. If you can afford to create your entire roof from solar panels, it’s an incredibly effective way to be energy independent.
What Are the Benefits of Installing Solar Panels?
There are many benefits to installing solar panels for your home. Here are the top five benefits of installing solar panels:
- Save thousands of dollars — Solar panels save you money, it’s as simple as that. In many states, solar panels can save you well above $100 per month. These savings can add up and you can save tens of thousands of dollars in just a few years.
- Increased energy efficiency — Of course, adding solar panels to your home increases your home’s energy efficiency. Your home will be more energy efficient and you save money, that’s a win-win!
- Tax breaks and incentives — Tax breaks and incentives for solar energy vary from state to state. However, many homeowners can take advantage of local and state rebates, Solar Renewable Energy Credits (SRECs), and the Federal Solar Tax Credit. Even more savings!
- Increase your home’s value — Adding solar panels on roofs can easily increase your home’s value. Potential buyers see solar panels as lower electricity costs, making your home more attractive. One study found that homes with solar panels increased their sales price by $17,000.
- Environmental impact — The addition of solar panels to your home is a step in the right direction of saving the environment. Lower your carbon footprint by installing solar panels on your home!
Can You Install Solar Panels Yourself?
Although you can install solar panels on roofs yourself, it’s not recommended. Depending on your location and the regulations and policies in that area, you will likely need to hire a certified solar panel installer. Connecting a solar system to the electrical grid should NEVER be done by anyone who is not a certified installer. Doing so can result in serious injuries or death. Solar systems can be complex and difficult to install, so we recommend hiring a professional installer to ensure your safety and your home’s safety.
Solar panel installation is a great way to save money, become more energy efficient, and make a positive impact on the environment. Metal roofs are a top choice for solar panel mounting due to their durability, sturdiness, long-lasting nature, and high-performing qualities.
Talk to a product specialist today about which metal panel is right for installing solar panels on your roof. We would love to help you take a step in the right direction for your home and our environment!