One of the hottest home trends throughout the country right now is creating a barndominium out of metal panels. These modern living spaces are a great way to create a customized dream home with a bit more affordability, energy efficiency, and low maintenance compared to traditional builds.
What is a Barndominium?
The term “barndominium” is a combination of the words “barn” and “condominium,” meaning these structures are exactly what they sound like: a steel building or “barn” with living quarters. While these structures are totally customizable to fit your living space needs, most usually include a living space and attached garage area. Most barndominiums feature several rooms, bathrooms, a full kitchen, and a living area, while also having attached spaces for garages, shops, etc.
These living spaces include lots of other modern features that make them appealing, such as plumbing, high-quality concrete flooring, foam insulation, and much, much more. Their versatility and ability to be completely customized to fit your vision while remaining a lower-costing option compared to traditional housing has created a niche market for homeowners looking to build their own barndominium. One thing almost all barndominiums have in common is that they are created with metal panels.
Why Choose Metal Roofing & Siding?
A barndominium is typically constructed entirely with metal panels for both the roofing and siding materials. There are many benefits to using steel for your barndominium, and here are just a few:
- Extreme Durability — Steel has strength that’s simply unmatched by other building materials. Both metal roofing and siding are extremely durable against harsh weather conditions and elements. Whether you live in areas with extreme temperatures or harsh winds, metal is up for any test.
- Low Maintenance — Probably one of the biggest reasons metal roofing and siding is so sought after for barndominiums is their low maintenance. Wood needs to be sealed and stained. Vinyl needs power washed and scrubbed. Metal doesn’t require much upkeep, usually just an annual visual inspection to make sure everything is in working order will do!
- Modern Aesthetics — Metal has become one of those materials that just works with any style. There are a variety of panel profiles to choose from so you can easily make a statement. You can match your roofing and siding panels, or opt for something with more contrast. There are profiles that mimic board and batten siding or profiles that have that classic corrugated look. Metal allows you to really make your vision a reality and create your dream home exterior.
- Lots of Color Choices — Along with modern colors, Bridger Steel specializes in tons of other premium, unique finishes. From rustic Weathering Steel to beautiful textured finishes, you can find exactly what you’re looking for. Most of Bridger Steel’s colors and finishes come with great warranties, too.
- Longevity — Steel also has an unbelievable lifespan. Both metal siding and roofing is expected to last between 40-70 years, and sometimes even longer! If your barndominium is going to be your forever home, metal panels are the way to go.
You don’t have to stick to just metal for your entire barndominium. You can mix and match different building materials to create the exact exterior you want. From stone wainscots to wood beams on the front porch, you can mix in a variety of different materials to create exactly what you’re looking for.
Examples of Barndominiums
While barndominiums are completely versatile, here are a few examples of these stunning living spaces to inspire you!
Want to chat about metal panels for your barndominium? Get in touch with a Product Specialist at Bridger Steel today. Our team of experts can help you choose the right panel profile, gauge, and color or finish to fit your dream vision. Start to process today by contacting us or filling out our Get a Quote form.