Metal roofs continue to remain an extremely popular roofing solution for residential, commercial, and agricultural buildings. Not only are they durable, stylish, and low maintenance, they’re also extremely long-lasting. Metal roofs have an impressive lifespan, and last much longer compared to other roofing materials. One of the most commonly asked questions about metal roofs is “how long will they last?” We’re giving you all the information about a metal roofing system’s lifespan.
The average metal roof will last between 40-70 years. Some materials, like copper roofing, will last even longer — with some copper roofs dating back over 100 years. There are also a number of factors that can increase the longevity of your roof, as well as decrease it.
Their impressive lifespan is one of metal roofing’s biggest benefits, especially when compared to asphalt shingles’ average lifespan, which is only around 15-30 years. Unlike shingles that can warp and buckle under environmental pressures, metal panels were designed to withstand them. The fact that metal has an almost double average lifespan, paired with its durability and modern aesthetic, it’s no surprise that more and more are using this material as their new roof or re-roofing solution.
Factors That Affect Metal Roofing’s Lifespan
While the average lifespan is between 40-70 years, there are a few different factors that can affect the longevity of your roofing system. Here are just a few:
- Weather Conditions — While metal roofing stands up extremely well to all types of weather conditions, they can have an effect on how long a roof lasts. For example, if you live in a relatively mild climate, your roof may last longer than those who live in an area with heavy snowfall or high-speed winds. Even though metal will stand up extremely well in those harsh conditions (and better than other materials), they can cause natural wear and tear on your roof. Choosing the right metal panel is key in helping you make sure you’re getting the right panel to handle your area’s environment and typical weather conditions.
- Maintenance — Another extremely attractive benefit of metal roofing panels are their low maintenance. After installation, they require virtually no maintenance. Most of the time, just a simple visual inspection once or twice a year is enough to keep your roof in tip-top shape. However, making sure your gutters are clear, clearing any debris or tree branches from your roof, and other types of preventative maintenance can help extend the life of your roofing system.
- Proper Installation — Probably the biggest and most effective way to ensure your roof lasts as long as possible is proper installation. Faulty or badly installed metal roofs are more prone to leaks, cracks, and other factors that can shorten its lifespan. Making sure to either hire a professional contractor or ensuring proper DIY installation can help you make the most out of your roofing system’s lifespan.
What Makes Metal Roofing Last?
The longevity of a metal roof is a huge advantage, and it’s not by accident. There are quite a few characteristics that metal has that makes it carry such an impressive lifespan, including the following:
- Durability — The number one reason metal roofs last so long is because of how tough and durable they are. This durability is crucial to the lifespan of a roof. With stellar wind-uplift, heavy-rainfall, heavy-snowfall, and impact resistant ratings, you can expect your metal roof to perform in even the toughest conditions. They are truly built and designed to last.
- Pest Resistance — Unlike other materials, metal panels actually deter pests from your home. Wood shingles and shakes can attract pests, but metal roofing won’t. This helps increase your roof’s lifespan and let it perform the way it needs to.
- Tough Components — Contrary to popular belief, metal roofs are actually a complete and total system, made up of tough, high-performing components and not just sheets of metal. Roofing systems are now more advanced than ever before, and their clip systems, fasteners, and other accessories have been designed with the latest technologies in order for you to get the most out of your roof.
All in all, metal roofing is a great solution for those looking to install a roof and not worry about it for decades to come. There are a lot of other benefits of metal roofing, but their longevity is definitely one of the biggest.
If you’re interested in metal panels for your new roof or re-roofing project, get in touch with the Bridger Steel team today. Our Product Specialists are experts in their field, and can help you get the right product for your project’s specific needs. Whether you need product recommendations or already have some ideas in mind, Contact Us today to get started.